On cooking and eating in Renton, WA.

Monday, April 20, 2009

Amazon Fresh

I like using home grocery delivery. There is no convenient grocery store around me so grocery delivery saves me a couple hours a week. The scheduled delivery and the minimum purchases force me to plan ahead which kills impulse buys and means I eat out less often.

In the past I've used Safeway.com. Unfortunatly their fees are slowly increasing. Last year I could get free delivery for orders over $75.00. This year it costs $10.00 for orders over $150.00.

Since I'm buying for two, $150.00 in groceries is too much. The vegitables go bad or I run out of perishables before my grocery list is up to $150.00.

Safeway's delivery schedule isn't that convenient. If I order today, my groceries are delivered tomorrow night. Yes, technically they could be delivered between 10am and noon tomorrow, but I have a day job.

Along comes Amazon Fresh.They have free delivery on orders over $75.00. Amazon also has unattended predawn delivery. If I order by midnight, my groceries will be on my door stop by 6am the next morning.

Refrigerated and frozen goods are left in returnable freezer totes.This is so good. I can reasonably spend $75.00 a week on food and the perishables

Safeway.com has a larger selection than Amazon Fresh. For similar items, Amazon appears to be less expensive than Safeway.I'll be using Amazon Fresh for some time to come

No comments: